Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I love my bike

I do. It makes me very happy. I have yet to not ride it to work this Fall (since I got back from Maine in August). That makes me a green commuter. I haven't even had to take the bus -- not even on the rainy or cold days. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't proud of that.

As to the bike itself, it's not a fancy one. But I love it anyway. It's a 1980's era Peugeot Bordeaux converted to a fixed gear. There's another guy in Madison who hangs out at Ground Zero coffee shop (as I do) with the same bike frame -- also converted to fixed gear. It sure does ride well, and once I put a Brooks saddle on it my butt never felt so good. Do I have complaints? Sure. I wish there were a bit more clearance in front for fenders. since it's now my main commuter bike (and since I've got that leather Brooks saddle to protect) I need good fenders on it, and the front ones hit my foot when I turn. I had to take off the toe clips because of it. Oh well.

Soon it will snow, and I'll have to decide whether to continue with the Peugeot or go back to my Kona MTB, which has vertical drops and therefore cannot be a fixed gear. I suppose a third option is to find another frame and build a winter/beater fixed gear. That might be the most fun...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home