Monday, May 22, 2006

cycles of inspiration

Among my many personality, um, traits, I have these cycles of inspiration that those who need to deal with me need to learn to love -- or at least tolerate.

When inspired I do kick-butt work. But when my interest wanes, or something more interesting comes up, I tend to take a quick peek at it (sometimes not-so-quick), and temporarily forget my previous interest.

And so here I am, with two weeks before I take off for camp in Maine, and I need to write some conference proposals, etc. and I just want to do other stuff. It maddens me, and I know it maddens those who have to deal with me, because I get itchy/jumpy/grumpy when I don't finish things I know I should do. Now.

What a beautiful day though! And hey look a WordPress account to play with and customize -- I'm sure that I could turn it into a pretty cool "working project" with all its affordances, and *then* I'd definitely get my proposals done right quick...

I remember once, growing up, when we were laying brick building our house, and my dad told me to move a pallet of bricks from the finished side of the house to the unfinished side. I started that project by dismantling an old riding lawn tractor. The plan was to turn it into a heavy duty wagon with which I could load up with bricks and pull it behind the new lawn tractor, and make short work of moving those bricks. He found me in the shed with tractor parts on the floor and made it clear that he thought it was a bad idea. It turns out, I guess, that he wanted the bricks moved that week.

After the house was bricked, however, we did eventually make that old lawn tractor into a trailer, and I got to pull a 50 water barrel around the farm to water newly planted trees.

I'm antsy to make a fancy trailer again, but I know I should use the wheelbarrow (MS Word) I already have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home