Thursday, February 24, 2005

Backyard Bald Eagles

It occurred to me recently that I'm taking a really cool thing for granted. I live in Madison, Wisconsin in a modest student rental with 3 roommates. It's not exceptionally glamorous, except that Lake Monona is in our backyard. And there's a tree on the neighbor's shoreline where a pair of bald eagles often perch -- a foot apart on the same branch.

When I'm out canoeing in Maine or Northern Minnesota, I consider it a great thing to see an eagle, and there I often spend half a lake of paddling ruminating on the glad luck of seeing a single eagle soaring above. But here "at home" I see them all the time, flying, perched, even just standing out on the ice, and it's "normal" -- pretty lucky, when I think of it. If I didn't live on the lake, it'd be a rarer thing. I rarely need to remind myself to see beauty in my life, but I think it might be a shame that I take it for granted.

3 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A rare thing indeed! ;) I am glad for you that you 'see' the eagles now, it sounds very pleasant. When I see one at a close distance thier 'bigness' always takes me by surprise because they are usually so high in the sky, a sight that relative size doesn't really measure into- more the idea of soaring, the 'feeling' of it. At close distance they are a less abstract experience.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

but it's *not* a rare thing for me, really. what's rare is feeling spoiled.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant rare for the need for reminding yourself part rare. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home