Monday, September 19, 2005

Monday, and Madison's smoking ban

It's funny how the grayness of weather just sucks all the enthusiasm for studying/reading out of me [whatever huge amount I can usually eke out on a Monday], while at the same time infusing a deep foreboding gloom. Ugh! Humid, cold, tired.

I shall write for a bit on things not relating to school. How about the Madison smoking ban? So the city council, with the Mayor's support passed a ban on smoking in bars, and many many bars and smoking customers are up in arms about it because it's allegedly affecting their business. I don't doubt that, but I think it'll balance out eventually. I'm not sure how I feel about it. One on hand, as a non-smoker, I love being able to walk into a bar without gagging. I like the idea of it potentially helping people quit (I've had three smoking friends say they were going to quit when the ban goes into effect).

On the other hand, it embarks on a slippery slope that I'm uncomfortable with. "Prohibition" was a bad idea that brought on a dangerous black market. "Banning" was (and still is) associated with books (ala censorship), which I feel is dangerous, and far too similar to what the Religious Right wants to do to anyone who disagrees with their ideology. And, as far as legislating health and fitness excercises, while I think that smokers do put an unneeded burden on our health care system, and endanger those around them with their second hand smoke, I'm not sure that banning it at bars is a good solution. After all, alcohol isn't the safest of drugs either. If we're going to ban smoking on health grounds, we could also justify banning alcohol, and a few things I *would* like to see banned: guns, and cars, and the internal combustion engine, coal powerplants, etc.

But I don't think that legislating behavior is a good idea. I think that behaviors that negatively affect the well-being of society should be tolerated and welcomed even, provided those who engage in them pay for the cleanup. For example, I like the 5-cent deposit on beverage containers in Maine. It's not perfect, but it goes a long way in recycling and keeping the state litter free. If they had deposits on all food packaging, the state would be exceptionally free of litter. I think that manufacturers should be required to pay into this sort of packaging tax as well; it would encourage innovation and minimalization (is that a word?) of packaging all the way down the line. I think a similar thing ought be done with vehicles: manufacturers pay more taxes for low-efficiency vehicles, and consumers pay at the pump (gas tax goes to air cleanup, subsidizes public ttransportation and bike paths, and R&D for cleaner alternatives) and registration (pays for roads and parking based on how much parking/road space it takes up).

As far as smoking in bars is concerned, any bar that wants to offer smoking should be allowed to. But, understanding that cigarette smoke is a toxic substance, they need to safeguard their non-smoking customers as well. They can do this by having really really good HVAC systems that provide clean air to breathe, and scrub the smoked air before venting it out to the city (just like powerplants and factories should be required to do).

Will this cost more? Yes. Should it? Yes. One community value we learn in kindergarten, along with "don't hurt other people" is to "be responsible" and "clean up our messes" -- this is an adult extension that we've somehow forgotten. Smoking is dangerous for all involved, and for those around them, but it's also a luxury vice that's not all bad. I've always considered smokers to be a bit more thoughtful than non-smokers. I think it's because smoking is a sort of meditation practice -- essentially an exercise of breathing -- and when one focuses on the breath, the mind works differently. Ideas that might otherwise be overlooked are contemplated, and depending on the substances in the smoke, non-typical perspective can be mulled over. Sure, it's poison. Sure, it'll kill you if you do too much. But then anything in excess can be dangerous.

The key is to do things in moderation, minimize the effects of our actions on others, and be responsible when they *do* affect others. Seen this way, it's not unreasonable.

2 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a patron via my barista life commented to me that the ban has really opened up new social doorways for him because the only thing that would make him leave his small-knit group is to step outside & smoke... and outside are other people smoking he would have never bothered to interact with otherwise. he said he hated to admit it, but the ban has been really good for him.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger buzzwig said...

I'm reading Player Piano, by Kurt Vonnegut that I bought from you at a yard sale. Good book. It's interesting to me how this vision of an automated future with all of its unbreakable, automatic policies speaks of using magnetic tape memory and punch cards. Anyway, reading this novel fills me with the same frustration as the smoking ban. Once healthfulness is a mandate, every aspect of our lives becomes vulnerable to strict supervision. In order to keep insurance costs down, my company has instituted yearly health risk assessments. This is meant to offer incentives for employees to be healthful. Those who refuse to take the assessment pay $20 more per month in premiums, those who take the assessment and are healthy enough, pay a discounted rate, and those who take it and aren't healthy enough pay the middle, normal rate. We are entering an era of monitoring and possibly automation or state control of lifestyle. If we actaully get state health care I'm sure our every consumption, activity and emotion will be scrutinized in the interest of the overall welfare and cost effectiveness. It is simply that time. Gattaca is a movie that comes to mind when thinking of this sort of inevitable (?) scenario.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home