Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Flatware

I am anticipating a discussion on flatware. I expect that we have to choose both 'everyday' flatware, and 'silver.' My tastes run toward the more usable, so I'll try to exert what influence I have on the everyday flatware -- think practical. I'll consider things like ergonomics (balance, how comfortable are they to hold, cut with, stick in my mouth, etc.), ease of cleaning (complex, deep patterns, and multi-materialed fabrications like wood-and-metal are discouraged); simple aesthetics (form = function); and durability (well built, heavy, not bendy like cafeteria silverware; stainless steel so I don't have to polish it).

I actually don't like the Curvware pictured above -- mostly because it doesn't stack compactly. The designer says that's a plus, but it's not one for me. As with many of my plans, my idea of furnishing a happy home revolves more around a simple one-room cabin than a palacial white-picket-fenced Victorian. And I'd rather fill the registry with woodworking tools than with tableware. But I am only half of this wedding, learning what society requires. And while I can ask "why?" and question the norms of society, I am less sure of my ability to actually change it without offending some, including the one most important to me. So I joke, and ask why, and ultimately cave to her wishes. That's how it works. Why? Oh, never mind.

The thing about flatware -- as with most other things I suppose -- is that you just can't tell what it'll feel like until you actually heft it. That said, I've been looking for flatware like that pictured on the left: with minimal-or-no pattern; spoons and forks with a flared handle (vs. narrow) so it's easier to ... um, handle; four tines on the fork because three feel odd in my mouth; and a shallow wide spoon dish because the steep-sided ones don't fint my tongue in an aesthetically-pleasing way. Yes, I am a tongue snob.

1 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello John,

You would have no way of knowing without seeing the pictures, but actually Curvware stores more compactly than flatware. There are washing and storage racks as well as an under the counter rack that holds them compactly and very clean.

More importantly as you correctly point out, you have to feel them to understand the balance and comfort issues. I would be happy to send you some pictures to show you how they store in our house (if I had an email address).

Cheers ... Novella

P.S. You can email me at novellawilson@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home