Sunday, February 26, 2006

PBI: element map

Here's quick map I made in Omnigraffle that lays out some of the main elements that I could study. The octogons represent "things" (clearly, I need a better descriptor), and the arrows represent "influencing factors." So, for example, tools are shaped by, and shape, culture, activity, place, and the individual. As it is mapped out, "Tools"is the centerpiece, but we could easily rearrange the elements so that individual, culture, activity, or place are in the center -- and if I had a 3-dimensional model, I'd make those connections explicit.

It gets more complex when one considers that each of the elements (things) has multiple elements to study. So, for example, I could look at the activity of camping, of playing the game, of designing the game, or other activities (not shown). When one considers that the arrows connecting Individual, Activity, and Place is essentially Situated Action, and the arrows connecting Individual, Tools, and Activity is essentially Activity Theory, there's a whole lot more to study.

Every arrow and "thing" can be studied, and is interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home