Tuesday, June 28, 2005

existence vs. fulfillment

Can it sometimes be better to quit while one's ahead in life? To
say: "It's been a good life."

I guess I fall into the camp that says "yes." The camp that wears the
"DNR" wristbands (and tattoos). The camp that was rooting for Terry
Schiavo in her prolonged fight against being held prisoner in this
world. The camp that thinks "Doctor Death" was one the recent world's
greatest heroes.

As sad as I am about Seymour's "final nap" (sad enough to use dumb
euphemisms), I think I'm pretty okay with it. There's a certain
freedom in it -- in letting go. And I guess I'm happier about these
circumstances than I was about Dewey's. There will be no crushed
whimpering body. No dogshit in my arms as I watch searching eyes
fade, assured by mine that everything is okay despite the blood that
filled his lungs, despite the pain that sears through the mangled
legs and hips, despite the weakening whistle of each subsequent
breath. There will only be a long warm hug by the man who loves him
-- as sleep settles in.

2 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger nichole said...

I'm so sorry, John.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger buzzwig said...

Great big hug, John.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home