Monday, September 04, 2006

Mapping out a workshop

No, I haven't got a new saw ... yet. But if I did, I think I'd get a Hilti 267-E (and a EurekaZone Smart guide system). Why get a guided circular saw instead of a table saw? Mobility is the big reason. I don't have a shop yet. A powerful, quiet, accurate circular saw with good dust collection, along with a guide system can do just about all a table saw can do, and can do it in a backyard or other makeshift shop, without peeving off the neighbors. (A jobsite table saw can do a lot too, but they're generally very loud and dusty.)

Since this would handle rips and panels very well, (and claims to -- though I'm not convinced -- handle cross-cuts well too) the second "major tool" (counting the saw and guide system as one) that makes sense to get would be a compound miter saw for crosscuts, trim work, etc. Between the two, I think I'd have everything and more than a good old cabinet table saw could give me, except cast iron and the ability to set it and never have to adjust it -- which I wouldn't have anyway, because of the whole lack of an actual shop thing. Later in life when I have a real shop, I can get a good table saw and these purchases will still be very useful -- each does its thing better than a table saw can.

The third "major tool" would be a good router. I'll count it as "major" because of the expense of good bits. The router will complement the EZ Smart guide system, and open it up to a whole new level of usability.

Eventually, I'd like to get a band saw (old cast iron beast, or a Minimax), cabinet table saw (Grizzly or better), drill press, lathe, and planer. And I already have a cheap Dewalt 14.4v drill and trim saw which both work fine, but aren't anything I'd want to do trim work with.

Of course, right now I'm just dreaming. Reading the tool forums at Sawmill Creek, and planning it all out in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home